Friday, July 6, 2007

Canada is weird, eh?

Well, last week, I was in Canada. For some reason, I always think of Canada as the US extended north - not much different, just colder. Well, there are some differences.

I saw a joke book with a joke that went...

"How does a Canadian spell Canada?
C eh N eh D eh"

It is true, Canadians do say "eh" a lot at the end of things, ... , eh?

They also say "no worries." It is the appropriate response to just about anything that doesn't require a response.

I think it may rain today. No worries.
Excuse me. No worries.
Where's the rest room? Over there. Thanks. No worries.
Can I get the salad dressing on the side? No worries.

It really works with just about anything.

The other thing about Canada that I guess I knew, but was still a bit surprised about, is that they have longer days in the Summer. I walked out of the hotel at about 9:45 PM to get a late dinner and the sun didn't even look like it was about to go down. Sunset happened between 10:15 and 10:30 every night.

Fast food and Wal-mart both closed by 10:00 PM every night. Everything is in Kilometers and Celsius. It was weird to see 110 as the speed limit and a hot day at 25 degrees.

I am sure that there are other things that are weird to us Americans, but that is all I have for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha fast food is usually open all night... im not sure what part of canada you visited. "No worries" though... wow ive never said that im my life!

Anonymous said...

however we have shorter days in winter... funny ol world isn't it??